Sunday, November 11, 2007

CCA 4

CCA#4

One night, your wife asks, “Do I look fat in this?” You are not about to tell her that you think it is extremely unflattering. You reply, “No, you look wonderful.” Everyone, including the people gawking, knows you are lying, but you merely do not have the heart to tell her the truth. She does not notice the stares, and you have a lovely evening together. Is it ever right to lie? In circumstances like this, when truths are not malicious, and one can avoid complicating a social relationship, deception is sometimes an essential part of the order of the social world (Adler 241). This is an important concept to apply to everyday life, and one which I practice regularly.

Recently my mother, in a frantic rage, asked if I knew where her hair dryer was. I had lent it to my cousin, but I knew that if I told her, being caught up in her rage, she would have been malicious. I told her I did not know where it went, and waited until the next morning, when she was calm and well-rested, to tell her the truth. She told me that it was fine, and I knew I made the best decision. This may seem deceitful, but white lies, to spare unnecessary tension in relationships, should be justified. Obviously, there are several circumstances in which a lie is not defensible and one should understand that this line should never be crossed.

Conversely, I could have never told my mother where her hair dryer went. If my cousin returned it and informed her that I lent it out, the consequences could have been worse than if I had told the truth. This could have resulted in complicating our relationship, and her not trusting me; therefore, it is important to consider when it is right to lie and when it is not.

In the end, one should understand that sometimes dishonesty is necessary, but that there is a line which should not be crossed. Keeping this in mind, the next time you open your mouth to tell the truth, really ask yourself, should I be telling the truth right now or is it right to lie?

No comments: